Re: [DNS] Macromedia SPAM

From: Nick Andrew <nick§zeta.org.au>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:57:19 +1100
On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 02:11:51PM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> For example, imagine running an in-addr search, or say a security
> scan of DNS servers running inside Australia, and wanting to get
> contact details from the AUNIC database to email administrators.
>
> Do you have a problem with this?

Sure I do.

Just because I own an IP address and a domain name doesn't mean I
want to receive email from every dick on the planet.

Since domain names can be harvested by in-addr searches, as you have
correctly noted, possessing a list of domain names is insufficient
evidence to establish a good faith need to know the AUNIC details
of the holders of those domain names.

Nick.