False DNS's etc...

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:44:23 +1100

> I know this isn't .au discussion but I am sure someone here
> will know the
> answer to this:
>
> I see www.new.net and notice lots and lots of nice new domain
> endings, to my
> surprise (sarcasm), these people seem to be a ICANN ..
> competitor, as such.
>
> Anyone know how they do this ?   and get away with it ?

For some informative documents see:
The paper by the Internet Engineering Task Force (RFC2826):
"IAB Technical Comment on the Unique DNS Root":
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2826.txt

and the ICANN paper:
Discussion Draft: A Unique, Authoritative Root for the DNS:
http://www.icann.org/stockholm/unique-root-draft.htm

Simply put, anyone can create an alternative set of domain names - it is a
simple exercise for any high school IT student.  The software to set up a
DNS service is readily available for free.  Just as anyone can create there
own version of the telephone numbering system (for example companies can set
up their own internal telephone numbers), or postal addressing system (for
example companies often set up their own addressing system for internal
mail).  I see no need for an "alternative" telephone or postal addressing
system in the wider world, in fact it causes problems where a message
addressed to the same telephone number, DNS address, or postal address can
end up at different locations.  There is a reason why we have international
telecommunications standards, and conventions for addressing mail.

To make use of one of these alternative DNS addresses you either need to
change your DNS software on your PC to point to a different DNS address
directory, or you require your ISP to do this.  Few mainstream ISPs are
altering their DNS configuration to point to alternative DNS directories.
As is typical in the Internet, most people that purchase domains from
companies offering alternative roots are either misled, or our hoping to be
able to make money from selling the domain names in the future.

It is only surprising that some of the Australian companies in the domain
name market haven't set up their own alternative ".au" (or maybe ".ozzie")
system.

Bruce Tonkin