Re: [DNS] False DNS's etc...

From: Saliya Wimalaratne <saliya§hinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 19:10:02 +1100 (EST)
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Kenneth Brownsmith wrote:

> I know this isn't .au discussion but I am sure someone here will know the
> answer to this:
>
> I see www.new.net and notice lots and lots of nice new domain endings, to my
> surprise (sarcasm), these people seem to be a ICANN .. competitor, as such.
>
> Anyone know how they do this ?   and get away with it ?

proprietary extensions forcing you to either

a) use their servers for resolution
b) append 'new.net' to the end of every non-ICANN TLD.

e.g. you ask for 'www.somedomain.cool' where '.cool' is their proprietary
TLD; but your OS thunker actually asks for resolution of
'www.somedomain.cool.new.net'

Neither solution is universal; kind of defeating the purpose.

Regards,

Saliya