[DNS] Fw: Methods of allocation of generic domain names in .com.au

From: Adrian Brown <abrown§golook.com.au>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 20:33:23 +1100
Ian & Others

Quote from ACCC submission.
"Should users, for whatever reason, believe that trademarks confer superior
rights to a domain name, then the ACCC remains concerned that there may be a
rise in disputes and a trend in domain names accruing to larger businesses.
This accrual may occur because smaller parties generally lack the resources
to fight the matter through the ADR process or further, or because the
entire process may be slanted towards registrants who have trademarks. This
situation is likely to be exacerbated by the recommendation that
applications for trademarks be accepted as the basis for registrations (rec.
4.1.2), even though such applications may later be rejected by the Registrar
of Trademarks."

The above comments could also apply to selling  generic domain names to the
highest bidder.
I have written to the ACCC for clarification if and when they respond I will
post letter.

Regards

Adrian