Re: [DNS] Retention of domain name

From: Saliya Wimalaratne <saliya§hinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:53:11 +1100 (EST)
On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Patrick Corliss wrote:

> Hi Ron
>
> The only example being quoted, it seems to me, is a business changing its
> name.  My business is named "Quad Quality Addressing Pty Ltd" and I have two
> domain names viz "quad.com.au" and "quad.net.au".  I usually use the latter.

I think we're pretty much agreed that if a business changes its name, it
should alter its domain name to suit. If it doesn't want to alter the
domain name, it shouldn't change its name. We *might* be forgetting that
'DNS is NOT a directory service' but that's beside the point at this
stage.

The thing that is vexing to me, though, is policy changes. Can someone
point out to me where it says:

"the renewal criteria for a domain name will be the same as those that
were originally used to allocate the name" ?

i.e. if auDA changes the rules, my name that I have spent significant time
and money promoting will still be renewable unless *I* do something that
would have prevented it being registered originally (e.g. close down my
business).

If there is no such policy, domain name resellers cannot in good faith
recommend clients to the .com.au namespace.

Regards,

Saliya