Re: [DNS] Have IRA gone one lie too far?

From: Don Cameron <donc§mudgeeab.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:31:08 +1100
Hi Ron,

On a lighter note... my latest piece of 'courtesy correspondence' from IRA
was so ambiguous as to be laughable. Firstly, they sent a form with
check-boxes to be returned back to them... however they 'forgot' to include
their contact details anywhere on the form. "Hmmm, even if I am interested,
who the heck do I send this to?".

Secondly, the wording was totally abstract concerning what it was they were
offering (some free listing in a business contact portal somewhere), and
what it was we would need to agree to, were we to accept the offer. I showed
it to one of our exec's, who after glancing at the form (and obtaining an
assurance from me that it wasn't a legitimate renewal from our Domain
provider), saved me the trouble of tossing it in the bin.

Unfortunately the down side to constantly receiving this junk (from IRA and
others), is the growing perception that the Internet industry is simply a
bunch of charlatans who have no respect for such mundane matters as privacy,
confidentiality, or complying with recognised codes of business conduct -
and worse, that it is somehow everyone else's responsibility to try and stop
these practices (if you don't like it, complain to the ACCC et-all). The
simple reality is that business does not have the time or desire to
follow-up on these nuisance and predatory practices - that's why we
supported the concept of Internet industry self-regulation - to deal with
these very issues. If we need Government intervention to manage this, then
the whole thing probably should be handed to Government - after all that's
what we pay them for, and at the least they probably would ensure that
proper guideliness are followed.

PS - Harry, go for it... let me know if I can help at all.

Rgds, Don