Re: [DNS] Nomination as auDA Director

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:55:32 +1100
********* auDA Director Speaking Personally *******

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 04:36:06 +1100 (EST), Ian Smith wrote:

> Naturally I wouldn't envy anyone from the 'community sector' in such an
> environment, I'm sure it would be frustrating, hard work.  The way the
> APANA tender - a terrific effort given the time available I must say -
> was rejected for being a few hours late . . .

Hi Ian

I am sure it was a fine effort but, nevertheless, I am surprised to hear
comments of this nature.  The terms were quite explicit.  I'll make a few
comparisons and comments on my own behalf.

The other day I went to a house auction.  It was advertised at 2:00 pm.  The
bidding was brisk and the house was sold within 10 to 15 minutes, max.  I
did not buy the house myself.  After the sale concluded, a prospective buyer
turned up late.  They were shocked that the sale was over.  Pity but there
was no chance of starting over.  Put yourself in the auctioneer's position.

I've seen similar situations reported with prospective Parliamentary
candidates who fail to lodge their application by the specified time.  And
everyone knows a tender closes exactly at the time stated.  It really is a
sensitive commercial transaction.

Formerly I was a University student then later worked as a lecturer.  I
learned the lesson about submitting late assignments as a student and
applied the same rules as a lecturer.  The rule was publicised widely and
applied strictly.

I have been criticised on this list for favouring compliance with "the
rules".  But I assure you that, as an auDA director, I would be unforgiving
if the CEO relaxed the rules and, as a result, created a threat of legal
action from the other tenderers.

> . . . and AuDA's quoted response to
> Robert Elz' refusal to be so far forced out of his org.au and id.au
> delegations shows clearly just what sort of front body AuDA has become.

The DNS is a hierarchical system.  The holder of DOT allocates the Top Level
Domain AU to auDA who then allocates the Second Level Domains at its
discretion.  Robert Elz knows that quite well.  However, I'll refrain from
further comment at this time.

> The similarities with recent, not dissimilar, political and commercial
> interference with the board and management of the ABC are obvious, as
> are the likely consequences to the non-commercial internet community.

Huh ??  Is that drawing a long bow, or what ?  There's no comparison and I'd
ask you not to make such generalisations.  I for one have every confidence
in our CEO unlike the ABC who got rid of Shier.  As well, the Australian
government has never interfered with the activities of the auDA Board while
I have been a director.  Never.

There is no doubt the government maintains a "watching brief" but their
view, as far as I can tell, is to allow true industry self regulation.  I
strongly support that approach. As well, I am particularly cautious to
ensure a proper balance is maintained, in the decision making process,
between "supply" and "demand" as well as "organisations".

<snip>

> I expect to Don, but meanwhile do hope you will reconsider withdrawing.

Don is welcome to stand as a member of the Board as is anyone who meets the
relevant criteria.  I say that sincerely.  Personally, I came on the Board
quite independently and, whilst I knew the then CEO from the DNS mailing
list, I knew nobody on the then Board.

Believe me, it is truly a worthwhile and interesting endeavour.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss
Speaking Personally