RE: [DNS] why not just make whatever.au available

From: Chris Disspain <ceo§auda.org.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:07:27 +1000
Harry,

>I had a read of all documents and the first three make no mention
whatsoever
>of auctioning domains let alone the process that was used to come to this
>decision.

One of the URLs I gave you took you to the Names Policy Advisory Panel page.
On that page there are links to all the materials relevant to the reports
produced by the Panel and also the link to the actual report itself. Perhaps
I should have been clearer and given you the actual link to the report. It
is;

http://www.auda.org.au/panel/name/papers/finalreport.html

Check out Section 4.1 and Attachment B

>I will ask yet again therefore:

>1. Who stands to benefit financially from the auctioning of domain names?
>2. Who and how was the decision to auction domain names reached?
>3. What other options, if any were considered, and why were they dismissed?
>4. Why is the process, that you state, information for is all there,
hidden?

Reading the report and the surrounding materials will answer these
questions.

>Web Access has devoted itself to this industry since 1998 and in the recent
>promo from INWW, we were informed that we were in the top ten new domain
>registrations for channel partners for the last 2 years in .com.au

Surprising, therefore, that you are not members of auDA and did not make any
submissions to either the Names or Competition Panels.

>As such we have the right to this information, and I suggest that you
>respond
>appropriately. I will not tolerate sidestepping of these issues much
longer.

Your right to information has nothing whatsoever to do with your  'devotion'
to the industry or your 'position' in some form of top 10. auDA is an open
and transparent organisation and we endeavour to provide open access to
everyone. Also, and perhaps you should take a little time to read auDA's
constitution, auDA is NOT an industry group but a representative body with
membership classes that include domain name holders. Therefore the fact that
you are involved in the industry is irrelevant and does not give you 'the
right' to anything.

It usually pays to be sure of your information and facts before making
suggestions such as things are 'hidden' or that issues are being
'sidestepped'. Clearly they are not. May I respectfully suggest you fully
inform yourself before using the DNS list to make accusations that a little
knowledge will make clear cannot be substantiated.

Regards

Chris Disspain
CEO - auDA
ceo&#167;auda.org.au