RE: [DNS] Re: Lock out from AUDA mailing list

From: Paul Foxworthy <paul§cohsoft.com.au>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 12:10:26 +1000
At 08:23 PM 01/09/2001 +1000, you wrote:
> [...]

Your concern and expectations are unrealistic IMHO.

Both e-mail and mailing list management software like majordomo are not
designed for 100% transactional reliability. If they were they would
consume considerably more time to set up, more computing time and more
money. It is much more cost-effective to keep it simple and fix up the
occasional problems after the event.

I for one do not want a cent of auDA money spent on improving the
reliability of the mailing list from, let's say, 98% to 99.99%. The benefit
does not justify the expense. I will cope if my name goes missing sometime.

iinet host the mailing list as a favour to the community. They started
doing it before there was an auDA. I believe I'm right in saying the
mailing list is not an official function of the auDA - you certainly do not
have to be a member of auDA to participate in this list. The auDA are glad
to have it and use it as one means of communication. They would probably
have to invent something similar if it wasn't already there, but even then
I'd be happy with a similar level of performance to that iinet is providing
now.

The standards of reliability for a DNS root server and the WHOIS database
should be considerably higher. auDA can and should specify performance
standards for these tasks, and expect to pay so that those standards are
met. The fact that the mailing list might break down from time to time is
no evidence that auDA or iinet couldn't handle the process to create a
reliable solution when that's necessary.

You are getting something for nothing. If you want a more reliable
solution, build it and invite us to use it.

Paul Foxworthy

Vested interests: None! My company builds web sites for a range of
customers and has registered domain names on their behalf. We have no
commercial relationship with iinet. I am not a member of auDA.

---- Coherent Software ------------- http://www.cohsoft.com.au/ ----
For interactive Web sites, databases, software, animation
Aust. Family History Compendium at http://www.cohsoft.com.au/afhc/