RE: [DNS] NEW Scam...deceptive faxes from Internet Name Protection

From: Chris Disspain <ceo§auda.org.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:09:56 +1000
As most of you will be aware, auDA has issued 2 consumer alerts covering
practices like this. They are both available on our web site.

At the moment, re-sellers (of which Internet Name Protection is one) are
governed solely by their contract with Melbourne IT. The only body that can,
at present, do anything about these practices from a legal point of view is
the ACCC.  Whilst auDA is the delegate for .com.au, that delegation is,
until later this year subject to an agreement between the previous delegate
(Robert Elz) and Melbourne IT. Whilst auDA can, and has, put pressure on
Melbourne IT to do something, we cannot force them to do so. The same
applies to the ACCC.

Of course, all of this will change once auDA is the .au delegate and
implements the changes to the industry pursuant to the recommendations of
the Name Panel and Competition Panel. At that stage all registrars and
re-sellers will be required to abide by a Code of Conduct. That Code of
Conduct is one of the many matters auDA will complete in the run up to the
introduction of competition.

In the meantime, all we can do is to attempt to educate the public about
domain names and some of the practices that occur. I have suggested in the
past that one way the industry could assist is for domain name re-sellers to
email our consumer alerts to their customer database. Melbourne IT has done
this and I strongly suggest that other follow suit.

Regards

Chris Disspain
CEO - auDA
ceo&#167;auda.org.au