Re: [DNS] org.au

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:48:49 +1000 (EST)
] Hello All,
]
] I would just like to say that of experiences with .org.au registration
] has been completly different.....  It is now 11 months and our
] registration request is still pending a response by the domain
] administrator - Robert Elz.  Countless attempts to email and phone Elz
] over the past 11 months have all failed with no reply.
]
] Regards
] Winston
]

In the case of org.au registrations, there are three kinds of applications.

(1) Applications which give enough details to make it clear that the
applicant is a real organisation, and fits the requirements of the org.au
name allocation policy.  These applications get accepted when the get
to the head of the queue.

(2) Applications which give enough details to make it clear that the
application does not fit the org.au policy (eg: it is clearly not a
legal organisation; it is an applicant which is more suited to some
other domain like asn.au, com.au, net.au, id.au, etc; the applicant
is part of some larger organisation which has another domain name).
These applications get rejected.

(3) It is not clear whether the application should be accepted or
rejected.  In this case, it normally stays pending for months or years.

If your application has been idle for a few months, then it will be
in class 3.

I can tell you that there is no point phoning Robert and leaving a
message for him to call you back (even if he was still in Australia).

What you can do is email Robert some more information so that he can
be clear on whether the application should be accepted or rejected.
If you can work out what information is missing (in Robert's opinion).

If you email me the domain name, I might be able to make a suggestion.
(Offer open to other people on the DNS list, as long as I don't get
flooded with requests.)

We try to warn people through the AUNIC forms that you need to be
very careful when filling out the org.au form, and you need to have
someone who understands the organisation filling out the form (if
you just ask your ISP to do it, it is very lkely to go into class 3
unless your ISP understands the detailed organisational structure).

Spending an extra half hour or hour on filling out the form properly
and reading all the instructions will often save months of waiting
in the case of org.au.

 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management