Re: [DNS] "the person may well be actingfrom self-interest"

From: David Lindsay <d.lindsay§law.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:20:23 +1000
Len et al,

There is no inconsistency between opposing Internet censorship and
supporting a stable root.  I think most people would agree that "splitting
the root" in open source software would be a negative development.  I fail
to see why the same logic shouldn't apply to the DNS.  Moreover, my
understanding (perhaps imperfect) is that IPv6.0 is mainly designed to
overcome rapidly dwindling address space in IPv4.0.  Consequently, I fail
to understand the relationship to DNS management issues.  I'm all in favour
of robust debate - my small contribution to the Melbourne WIPO consultation
(agreeing to act as a contact) was intended to encourage this.  DNS
management issues are not easy - and I certainly agree that our
understanding can improve through sharing information and opinions.  This
only works if the issues are identified with some precision and the debate
doesn't degenerate into rhetoric.

This may be getting off the track from auDA matters, so I won't continue.
Like you, I would be interested in whether there are any IPv6.0 servers in
operation in Australia or any plans for this.

I also draw everyone's attention to an evening seminar I have organised, to
be held at Melbourne University on 3 July (from 5.30pm).  The speaker will
be Dr Francis Gurry, Assistant Director General of WIPO - who chaired a
number of the recent WIPO regional domain name consultative meetings,
including the Washington meeting.  This would be a good opportunity for
some debate on the WIPO process v2.0 (which is clearly relevant to
Australian developments).

Cheers :)
David Lindsay