Re: [DNS] re-delegation of .au

From: Don Cameron <donc§mudgeeab.com.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:16:16 +1000
Hi Mark,

Just a comment on your footnote; "the view common in the media and with some
politicians that
the internet is somehow really all about business".

You are of course correct. The Internet is not all about business, the
Internet IS a business, albeit owned by a variety of business interests
(Telstra, auDA, Qantas, Mr. Elz, UUNet, you and me to name a few) - not at
all unlike any other shareholder owned company. It is subject to all the
nuances, levels of competition, requirements of supply and demand, and is
ultimately just as accountable to its customers as any other service
business.

This is why it's so important (as identified by Mr. Elz), that as many
stakeholders (shareholders) as possible have a say in the running of the
business - that it does not become an autocracy. It belongs to all of us,
and its future or demise will impact on all of us. My belief (and sincere
hope) is that this philosophy is being maintained by the new .au
administrators, and I guess that future postings to this list will
demonstrate whether the new culture and organisation is receptive to the
concept of stewardhip (rather than ownership), and actively encourages
participation from all of the "companies" shareholders. Just to reiterate, I
do believe that this is the case.

(PS - From someone like others here, who doesn't necessarily believe that
people should pay to belong to an organisation tasked with overseeing the
administration of a national resource... it almost seems like being told you
have to pay to vote... however who willingly will pay if this is what it
takes to help administer the resource).

Regards, Don