RE: [DNS] .biz status?

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:44:06 +1000
Perhaps it is pertinent at this point to note that none of the agreements
between ICANN and the proposed new TLD registry operators have yet been
finalised.  Once those agreements are finalised, they will still be subject
to the approval of the US Dept of Commerce.

Until and unless those agreements are finalised and the specific
arrangements for handling the landrush period for each new TLD is formally
announced, it is (IMO) premature for any organisation, ICANN-accredited
registrar or otherwise, to be offering pre-registrations.

>From what I have learnt from the major new TLD registry operators (ie .biz,
.info & .name), it appears likely that the landrush period will involve some
degree of randomisation of requests.  This will ensure that the concept of
'first-come, first-served' will not apply during the landrush period.

Anyone who wishes to keep updated with developments in this arena is welcome
to subscribe to Internet Names WorldWide's new TLD information service, at:
http://www.inww.com/content/tld-intro.php3

regards

Jon Lawrence
Product Manager - gTLDs