RE: [DNS] DNS and "end user" requirements

From: Doug Robb <doug§clarity.com.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:11:18 +0800 (WST)
On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Mark Hughes wrote:

> But its quite possible to create a subset of the DNS that works really well
> as a directory service.  All it requires is to create a part of the DNS -
> say, a new .au 2LD - in which:

Ahmen ... this mantra that some people chant 'dns is not a
directory service' ad nauseum doesn't add anything to the
discussion. You might equally say the policeman standing
on the corner is not a directory service but if he can
direct you to the local hotel you'll say thank you very
much thats what I need to know.

In anycase DNS is the hierarchical, distributed, highly
scaleable namespace used to resolve computer *and* service
names to IP address's. The whole point of the DNS is to
resolve easy to type/remember/learn names to hard to
remember/learn/type numbers.  This in itself *is* a
directory service in so far as locating an IP number
and service/resource.

The domain names and the hierarchical structures they
describe are now well and truly embraced by makers of
'real' directory services. eg in Microsoft Active Directory
domains are named with DNS names because "DNS is the
predominant name system on the Internet, DNS names are
globally recognised and have well know registration
authorities" [ source Microsoft]

In my opinion when people in this forum discuss DNS in the
context of directory's they are refering to the names (and
hierarchical structures) themselves and the 'DNS is not a
directory' mantra is irrelevant to the point being made.
Eventually the software underneath the namespace will make
such comparisons moot.

regards doug

Doug Robb
Clarity Software Pty Ltd      http://clarity.com.au
GPO Box 763                   Phone: 0403 02 2527
Nedlands 6909                 Fax:   (618) 93867564
Australia                     email: doug&#167;clarity.com.au