[DNS] DNS and "end user" requirements - the authority issue

From: Matthew King <mking§cinfo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:16:32 +1100
David raised a very interesting point about the linkage of authority
and Domain names in the minds of the consumer.

Perhaps this is another case of the domain name system being seen as
the general answer to a number of important functional requirements.
A jack of all trades approach if you will.

The current domain name system does not secure a companies identity
on the net. It helps but it does not secure it. However SSL
certificates from legitimate CA's / RA's do:

http://www.VeriSign.com/ - http://www.eSign.com.au/
http://www.thawte.com/
http://www.baltimore.com/

SSL certificates are a perfectly good way of identifying an identity
on the net. Customers know it and I for one don't put my financial
details on any site without a good SSL connection. (If the site (not
the domain as such) looks a little suspect I will also check the
certificate.)

There are always ways around systems that are not designed to fulfill
a certain function. i know a very good one around .com.au for
instance.

(Ps Gatekeeper  and Identrus will certainly raise this issue in the
coming months.)

**** Davids other point about the failure of ecommerce in Australia
is pertinent.

E-commerce has really failed to take off in Australia  because we
have had too many regulations and other dependencies.

My experience has found these four points to be the primary reasons
for the woeful e-commerce status of this country.

1/ It is hard and expensive to get a domain name
2/ Telstra has sat on access rates and now broadband
3/ The federal government has played politics to the disadvantage of
the IT sector
4/ Plus I would have to say the big banks have really sat on
innovation and early adaptation of payment gateways.

5 Plus the business culture is also a little risk adverse.