Re: [DNS] DNS and "end user" requirements

From: Matthew King <mking§cinfo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:28:47 +1100
I can buy a .com for a little under $AU 20 a year. That system works
fine so why should I pay $AU 50 (plus GST)

Perhaps we should think about that one a little. Underlying causes,
smoke screens etc......

A few opinions:

* The current thread seems to support more hand holding for the poor
uneducated public.

* Domains are what ever you want to make of them. For profit or
pleasure wright or wrong. Be it for ego email addresses
matthew&#167;king.com.au for instance ;-) or obvious services like
insurance.com.au

* If you got the cash and you want something bad enough you buy it.
Be it a fast car or a cold drink on a hot day. Domains should be no
different.

I saw a T shirt the other day that could be adapted (some US Marine
copy I think)

Sell em all
let Cash sort them out

* But there is no hard or fast rule nor should there be.

* As to trade marks what an exercise in futility. Are we talking
Australian trade marks or US or EU.  Do we give US companies with
expansive legal resources the right to claim trade makes on US
products for instance.

Plus what about existing rights?

I will take my last name for instance.

1 We have been called King (an old Scottish name it seems) for ever.
2 I also sell things under my name as a sole trader so I have a
technical right to this domain.
3 Plus I got in early '-)

So there are three very good reasons that I have "a right" to this
domain (the latter should be enough in my book by the way). Does some
companies trade mark (or derivative to complicate things) have a
better right to it? Mels cry in Brave Heart sums it up for me on that
one.

* Also

All rules you try to impose on allocation will be subjective unless
it is graven in stone ie you can not have a .au domain name if it can
be linked to a post code for instance. Because strange things WILL
happen which are unfair and possible ethically questionable.

* Why can't adults buy naughty words (morality police anyone)?

* All this talk of regulation.... Don't people who constantly grumble
about this have better things to do. Like actually supervising their
kids on-line activities or TV watching instead of trying to tell
other adults how to run their businesses or what gets their little
boat going...

IT SEEMS THAT THE LINE OF INCREASED REGULATION ONLY PROFITS EXISTING
COMPANIES THAT JUSTIFY CHARGING A PREMIUM FOR DOMAINS.

Again

I can buy a .com for a little under $AU 20 a year. That system works
fine so why should I pay $AU 50 (plus GST)

Oh but I can't buy a .au per year can I? Gee why is that???

Matthew King

(Have had a %$%#^^## of a day which may explain the forceful opinions somewhat)