Re: [DNS] geographic names

From: Doug Robb <doug§clarity.com.au>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:41:46 +0800 (WST)
On Fri, 24 Nov 2000, Richard Archer wrote:

> Running a web site with the domain name "coolahtelecentre.com.au"
> when this bears little resemblance to your trading name would
> potentially breach the business names act.

I have had occasion to see a legal opinion on this matter
some years back. Now I should be carefull here and not
take my opinion out of context by just quoting a
sentance but the final sentance is:

"Quite simply, there is no requirement for a
domain name to be registered as a business name."

This makes perfect sense and if this were not
the case anyone with multiple domain names
(.com's etc not representing a registered business name)
would be unable to operate those domain names.

It is only the .com.au *policy* that makes a mapping
between business names and domain names a requirement,

As a caveat this is not to say that you don't
need a business registration of some sort to cover
your business activity - its just that business names and
domain names are entirely different beasts.

regards doug

Doug Robb
Clarity Software Pty Ltd      http://clarity.com.au
GPO Box 763                   Phone: 0403 02 2527
Nedlands 6909                 Fax:   (618) 93867564
Australia                     email: doug&#167;clarity.com.au