Re: [DNS] .au space proposal

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§setel.com.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:37:39 +1100
Saliya Wimalaratne wrote in <dns&#167;auda.org.au> on Wednesday, November 22,
2000 7:09 PM
Subject: Re: [DNS] .au space proposal

> No. It's use as a directory is completely stupid.
>
> You don't dial numbers at random into a telephone, *even though* you know
> that the first 6 digits are probably right. Why would you do the same with
> DNS ?

Saliya, we are not far away from the sale of phonewords.  These will have
intrinsic value, just like some domain names, and I expect consumers will
use them because they are easily remembered/recalled, intuitive, meaningful
or whatever.

The Australian Communications Authority has the matter of phonewords under
consideration.  See Humphries, Vince and Round, David, Charging for
Memorable Phone Numbers, Agenda, vol 7, no 2, 2000 for a comprehensive
discussion of the methods of allocating and charging for phone numbers,
including valuable phonewords.  There are parallels with domain name
allocation and charging methods.

As we know, the domain name provides a means for a user to access a computer
on the Internet by using an easy to remember text name rather than numerical
Internet address.  So it will be with phone words I expect.

> The reason that 'generic' names are prevented is not because of efficiency
> - it's a completely arbitrary prevention that has been in force for
> awhile.

Yes, that's true.  It's a rule or policy which has prohibited the use of say
5000 generic and 240,000 geographic names in the .com.au domain.  I'm
unconvinced that continuing prohibition serves the national or public
interest.  The rationale for the current policy is the someone would get a
competitive advantage and/or windfall profit or gain.

See the arguments in the discussion paper under
<http://www.auda.org.au/panel/name/papers/publicreport.html#fences>, ie the
Cons of Proposal 4.2.1 and the Pros of Proposal 4.2.2.

Ian Johnston
Member, Names Policy Advisory Panel
Member, Competition Model Advisory Panel
Member, ACA's Numbering Advisory Committee (NAC)

Ian Johnston, Policy Consultant
Small Enterprise Telecommunications Centre Limited (SETEL)
PO Box 58   Jamison   ACT   2614   Australia
02 6251 7848 (B)   02 6251 7835 (F)   0413 990 112 (M)
www.setel.com.au   mailto:ian.johnston&#167;setel.com.au

SETEL is a national association advancing and representing
the interests of Australian small businesses as consumers of
telecommunications and electronic commerce.