Re: [DNS] What's in a name? Too little, says panel

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:45:20 +1100
Hi Don

Broadly speaking, the Australian Domain space is administered by the
Australian Domain Administration, auDA.  Their website is very informative.
You probably would have seen it when you subscribed to this DNS list.  The
general URL is at:

            http://www.auda.org.au/

Melbourne IT is the company holding the current rights to register the .com.au
part of the Australian name space.  Similarly Connect has .net.au.  Both must
work within the policy framework that has been established.  Aspects of this
system is currently under review by auDA.

My point was that it is not the role of the "administrators" to market the
Australian domain space.  This is a matter for the companies who have the
delegated registration rights.  They are commercially-oriented.

But I agree that they could promote .au more effectively.  And perhaps the
"adminstrators" can give the "registrars" a little push in that direction.  Of
course, the best push is for increased competition which is one of the main
issues under review.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss