Re: [DNS] .au space proposal

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:26:59 +0800
On Tue, Nov 21, 2000, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> In my response to the World Court article I started thinking about what
> could really be done. I have a proposal:
> * complete opening of to all names. The time has now passed to even
> pretend common words are restricted.
> * a new domain space (perhaps which embodies the goal of
> All Australian businesses are allocated space within this domain strictly in
> accordance with their business name.
>   - State registered businesses are given
>   - Companies, etc are given

You've just negated the use of, considering a company *will* choose
a with brand recognition (wouldn't YOU rather be
than ?)

> * The government would meet the cost of running the registrar. I would
> imagine this could be kept low given the lack of disputes, no accounts and
> links to existing government databases. I'd make a stab at the cost of under
> a dollar per name, given that Network Associates (VeriSign) charges about $5
> per .com name in the US and makes a large fortune.

Right. Lack of disputes over what? I'd assume here would become
red-hot in the courts once its opened up..

Adrian Chadd			"God: Damn! I left pot everywhere!
<adrian&#167;>	  Now I'll have to create Republicans!"
				    - Bill Hicks