Re: Study Finds Bias in Internet domain name dispute resolution

From: Meliza Smith <smithm§callawrie.com.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:23:20 +1100
Hi list members,

JUST A FEW NIT-PICKING CORRECTIONS:

> Passing off is a common law action. It is has very little to do with trade
> marks. Trade mark infringement is based on s62(1) of the Act, to wit:

Section 62 including 62(1) are the infringement provisions of the OLD Trade
Marks Act 1955, which is no longer in force. The infringement provisions in
the Trade Marks Act 1995 Act (the current act) are contained in Section 120.

You are correct in saying that passing off is a common law action, but
incorrect in saying it has little to do with trade marks - it is where trade
mark law all began! Passing off actions and Trade Practices Act actions
quite often run in tandem with trade mark infringement actions.

> - not engaging in trade
> - staying well clear of any goods or services covered under the trademark.
>
> Anyone is allowed to open "Apple Drycleaning" but "Apple Electronics"
would
> fall foul of Apple Computer's trade mark.

Section 120(3) states that a person infringes a registered trade mark if the
trade mark is well known in Australia EVEN IF the goods are not goods of the
same description or closely related services. So people DO have to be
careful re: unrelated goods - remember the recent VIRGIN debacle?
Additionally, the use of the trade mark under the new Act doesn't have to be
"in the course of trade", just "as a trade mark". Interesting difference.

> Again we have a legal system content that analogies to existing law will
> suffice for almost any situation.

> Perhaps someone on this list with more direct involvement in the legal
> system than I, could comment on what remedies are available under
Australian
> law.

Has any new legal situation been created by the Internet? I think the issues
surrounding domain names, cybersquatting, etc all involve 'traditional'
problems such as passing off, fair trading breaches, copyright breaches -
and yes, even trade mark infringement.

Can you suggest an alternative system/s to the system of legal precedent,
where the facts of like cases are considered in the light of the present
problem?

> The problem is of course that domain names on their own carry little
> information about the goods or services.

Many domain names, like kelloggs.com, dolby.com, nike.com DO carry
information about the goods or services being offered at that Internet site.
Use by people other than the proprietors of the trade marks could
potentially be trade mark infringement under Section 120(3).

Meliza Smith