Re: [DNS] FW: Important Information Regarding Your COM.AU Domain Names (fwd)

From: Doug Robb <doug§clarity.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:42:14 +0800 (WST)
On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 m&#167;rk.net wrote:

>    >I notice that the ACTU want to get a .union TLD and for
>    >people who really want a 1:1 of something a TLD such as this
>    >makes much more sense. Bring on the .abn.au TLD and let the
>    >..com.au map resources generic or otherwise.
>
> What would you put under the .abn.au domain? ABNs? www.69612362766.abn.au

I wasn't thinking the abn specifically, yes you are right
the actual abn would be a bit silly. What I was getting at
was another TLD for the 1:1 map of company names, abn seemed
a choice given its new role in Australian business.

The reason I'm suggesting this is because the idea that
the .com.au is a 1:1 map of business/company names is
no longer a tenable position in my opinion.

(one because it isn't anymore - not really considering
the business names only registered to get a domain name
and the rather obscure correlation between business
names and domain names like "Insurance Consulting Services
Pty Ltd" being able to get insurance.com.au and two,
the need to use domain names on a project by project
basis).

Given the .com is a resource based domain, .com.au
would be better suited to following this model and the
purists who want a 1:1 map of company names in a
TLD (which is not a bad thing) can have that within
abn or whatever. This would also have a better chance
of remaining a direct derivitive of the company
name since the fight over the generic words and
places would not be such a big issue as it is
in .com.au and .net.au.

regards doug

Doug Robb
Clarity Software Pty Ltd      http://clarity.com.au
GPO Box 763                   Phone: 0403 02 2527
Nedlands 6909                 Fax:   (618) 93867564
Australia                     email: doug&#167;clarity.com.au