RE: [DNS] Place Names

From: Rothnie, Warwick <Warwick.Rothnie§msj.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:19:50 +1000
Mallesons Stephen Jaques
Confidential communication

At a practical level, introducing a "distinctiveness" test such as s. 41 in
the Trade Marks Act will impose an enormous administrative burden.  There is
a whole government agency, the Trade Marks Office, to perform this function
and it is currently taking any where from 9 to 12 months if not longer to
attempt this.  Also, the ASIC and some State Business Name Registrars
abandoned this policy because their decisions were too arbitrary and
involved them in having to arbitrate disputes between name owners/claimants.

At a philosophical level, why does a domain name have to be distinctive?
What is wrong with allowing someone to register a name like car.com.au or
book.com.au?  Afterall, under the current policy which claims to prohibit
descriptive names, people have been able to register names like
cranehire.com.au even though this is a heading in the Yellow Pages
directory.  (Yes, I know Melbourne IT trots out that SOME of these were
already registered before the policy was introduced, but this one is
registered under a business name registered in September last year and there
are many other similar examples.)

Warwick A Rothnie
Partner
Mallesons Stephen Jaques Melbourne