Re: [DNS] Place Names

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 05:01:45 +1000
Hi David

I agree with Scott here and would add that "continuing use" is a common enough
policy.  In domain names I consider that it would be quite improper to renege
on a previous agreement when untold amounts may have been spent promoting the
relevant website.

That's not to say the opposite hasn't got some merit.  One example is leases
where the lease expires and the cost of all the renovations is lost.  The
difference is that you knew the terms of the lease when you entered into the
lease agreement.

It your case it seems to me there are three possibilities in Australia:

(1)    Lodge the application and, when refused, go to arbitration
(2)    Get the local Council to cancel Appleby as a place on the map
(3)    Register the name with Conect.com in the .net.au name space.

Alternatively you can share (or buy) one of the global TLD Applebys.  For
example, see if you can get any agreement with Anthony Appleby who seems to
have appleby.org.

I note that dappleby.com has gone to a Don Appleby but dappleby.net and
dappleby.org are both available right now.  If all else fails, you can always
change your name !!

Good luck
Patrick Corliss