Re: [DNS] Selling com.au names [was: Re: AuDomains.com]

From: Justin Sullivan <js§justnet.com.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 10:05:19 +1000
At 08:44 3/10/00 +1000, you wrote:
>I think you will find with INA, that when you request a Termination and
>Re-Applicaiton for a domain name, the termination is NOT actually
>performed
>first.  The new application would be checked, and if approved, then the
>domain is terminated and applied against the new company.  If the
>application
>is rejected, then the termination is NOT processed.  Hence the domain
>name
>is not lost at all.
>
>As for net.au domain names, that's how we work it.  If your
>re-application
>is not successful, we don't process the termination.  As for down time
>for the domain name itself, during the change of company name, there
>isn't
>any... The domain name itself isn't physically removed.
>
>Hope that clears it up a bit...

Hi,

I would like to think this is how it works with INA too. What worries me
(and my clients) is that INA need you to sign a form that says:

"I acknowledge that once the domain name has been deleted it will be
available for registration by the first registrable application received."

I would be much happier if the form added something like what Luke says
above, i.e. "[The enclosed application will] be checked, and if approved,
then the domain is terminated and applied against the new company.  If the
application is rejected, then the termination is NOT processed."

In other words, cancel the existing license only if the new application is
sensible. And if the new application is sensible, then have the form
indicate the transfer will take place to the new applicant listed on the
enclosed form, rather than "by the first registrable application received".

I imagine that INA may work in this way already, in practice. What concerns
me is that this isn't nearly as clear as it could be on the relevant forms
and as I said earlier I think there needs to be an unambiguous, zero risk
option for transferring names.

JS