Re: [DNS] qut.com.au

From: <ijakovac§westpac.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:53:16 +1000
Simon

I sure we all probably have a few great names under our sleeves and that is good
sometimes : )

good on ya mate

in regards to tony's message =>> On Thursday 18 May 2000, Tony Barry wrote:

> >Queensland University of Technology, www.qut.edu.au, becoming also
> >qut.com has to be worthy of comment.  I'm appalled.

I think that a lot of institutions should protect their immage by buying domain
names that identify them on the net. It is probably like for example "COKE-COLA"
companynot to buy all the TLD's that remind the general public of their product
and hence thaey protect their immage. And if they do not, well then they are
going to pay for it one day when they are not easily identifyable over the net.

There are lots of examples where many firms including government departments
that will loose their domain name to someone who can see a potential for $$$ -
money, because it is just the way things happen in civilised countries.
Sometimes I sit and ponder where is all this leading to because a good name is
not always the way to go but the way you are able to market yourself. Well that
is my two cents worth..

Regards
Ivan Jakovac

PS. Im always looking to make money where someone thinks that you cant and I
suppose that is why im still in the net industry. AGE 68

computer.

heh.

I have 'on.net' (and use it). If 3 letter domains are worth $100k,
what are two letter ones worth? :)

Simon

At 12:05 PM +0800 18/5/00, Balmik Soin wrote:
>On Thu, 18 May 2000, Patrick Corliss wrote:
>
>  > On Thursday 18 May 2000, Tony Barry wrote:
>  >
>  > >Queensland University of Technology, www.qut.edu.au, becoming also
>  > >qut.com has to be worthy of comment.  I'm appalled.
>
><snip>
>  > You referred to "qut.com" and I must admit wondering just how much the
>  > Queemnsland University of Technology paid for a three letter dot com domain
>  > name.  Prices are generally in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions,
>  > of US dollars.
>  >
>  > For that sort of money, you could stock a whole library for the students.
>
>Well they seem to put it to good use... ads on all the trains and buses
>around here (Singapore) advertising qut as qut.com... I dont think a 3
>letter domain name is worth such a huge amount - WAP.com would one of the
>very desired domains these days (since everyone is wireless mad) and it
>went for 100K...
>
>And as for the price, checking the whois records :
>
>Registrant:
>Queensland University of Technology (QUT4-DOM)
>
>Domain Name: QUT.COM
>
>Record created on 14-Oct-1998.
>
>they've had it for quite a while (iirc, the record creation is reset when
>a domain is transferred from one party to another - perhaps someone was
>thinking ahead at QUT and so grabbed it?)
>
>Its only in the last 6 months or so that the last of the 3LDs have
>dissapeared anyway :) wonder how long it will take for the 4LD... lot more
>permutations there.
>
>  > domain name is still available.  That's a real case of cargo cult
>  > mentality - all bow to the Americans.
>
>As im sure it was pointed out before and will be forever pointed out, .com
>is NOT american, it is an international domain... the americans DO have
>their own domain, .us ; just because they choose to use .com mostly does
>not make it their property, and does not make other people
>americanised... its simply because it is unarguably the easiest to
>remember TLD around, since everyone talks dot-com :)
>
>Regards,
>Balmik.
>
>--
>This article is not to be reproduced or quoted beyond this forum without
>express permission of the author.  You don't know who really wrote it.
>289 subscribers. Archived at http://lists.waia.asn.au/list/dns (dns/dns)

---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777