[DNS] Introduction of Expiry Dates in USA

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 20:44:50 +1000
I've been asked if I know how long it takes Network Solutions to remove a
domain from their register once it has expired...?

I have spoken to Network Solutions (NSI) several times on the phone about
this.  They have said that they send a reminder 30 days before the name is
due to expire, then another when it expires and perhaps two more reminders
(after 30 days, 60 days, etc).

If still not paid, the NSI Accounts people advise some other person that the
name should be deleted.  These names are processed in a batch and done as
and when.

So there's no clear-cut time-frame.

But they said that it would normally happen about three months after the
expiry date.  That's why I was concerned because going back two years plus
three months took me to December 1997 and the record had not been updated.

But going back even further I found names from September 1997 and even
earlier which had apparently not paid and had not been released.

Which makes me think that the process is taking much longer than the three
months after expiry that they suggested.  So I gave them a list to check
out.

I also noted many records were updated almost exactly two months prior to
the expiry date.  Some people are quick to pay.  So I suspect they send out
the first reminder 60 days before the expiry date and not 30 days as stated.

And with no expiry date being shown they could get away with being slack.

Perhaps it's just my suspicious mind but I am not altogether trusting of the
expiry dates, either !!!

Patrick Corliss
patrick&#167;quad.net.au
QUAD Quality Addressing Pty Ltd