Re: Re: Re: Re: (etc) Generic Domains...........

From: Jim Birch <jbirch§multinode.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:05:03 +0800
Robert Walker wrote:

<snip>

> We all know that if they ever released the "generic" domains that they would
> go the those whose last name ends in Packer or Murdock...and us little fish
> would not stand a chance in hell..

<snip>

Thanks for reality check, Robert.  There seems to be a lot of tiddlers on this list with white
pointer delusions.  Look around, the business end of the net is being carved up by corporations
with smart accountants and lawyers plus that other essential, advertising budgets bigger than the
GDP of Poland.  Despite what the ads of Telstra, IBM, etc say, globalized business will always
favour the big guys once they get into gear.

If generic domains ever get out, let's make it on (say) 10 year leases to the highest bidder.
Similar to radio spectrum auctions.  This would give the best long term return for a public
resource.

But, if there is ever a lottery for for valuable generic domains at $100 each, count me (and my
buddies) in for the lot.

Jim Birch