Re: [DNS] Buy.com counting cost of domain name row

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 11:32:03 +0930
Yeah, it's happening alright. We're all well aware of it.

The inconsistency is what irks me about this - not an issue of
whether dictionary words are ok or not, but the fact that it is
demonstrated by just looking at the billboards in Sydney that any
claim by INA to be enforcing this policy is just rubbish, but they
still pretend to (and still reject lots of attempts to contravene it,
while obviously managing to let some through).

If they got this 100% right and blocked all dictionary words, or just
dropped the policy (with appropriate fanfare, and a resulting
increase in their ASX share price), that'd be one thing, but the fact
that the outcome varies (presumably based on who processes the
application within INA on a given day) is just horrible for all
concerned.

I'm amazed INA take the risks that enforcing that policy creates.
What happens if they get an application for <niceword>.com.au
rejected, and two months later someone else gets it through - and
then INA get sued by you for giving the keys to your website's
business attraction model (the name) to someone else later? The risk
in that outcome has to be huge (to INA).

Simon