Re: [DNS] australiapost.com

From: Aristedes Maniatis, ish group pty ltd <Ari§ish.com.au>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 13:22:30 +1000
Even if you had a trade mark it would be registered in Australia rather than
the USA and so only of slight use to you.

You might ask your lawyers to look at 'Maxim's v DYE' and at 'Taco Bell v Taco
Co of Australia'. These are two cases where passing off was considered across
large distances (ie overseas).

Your case would be hugely strengthened by evidence of Australia Post having
some dealings or trade in the USA which would give rise to a reputation that
could be protected.

Personally, I'd be also looking at the possibility of registering a trade mark
in the USA.

Just a few thoughts from someone who isn't an intellectual property lawyer...
please give me a call if you want more info on those citations.

Regards and good luck
Ari

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, 1:08:32 am GMT Rowe, Joshua wrote:

>Have there been any legal precedents set (in Australia or OS) for getting
>your own name back from people like this:
>
>http://www.australiapost.com/

ish group pty ltd
7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
phone +61 2 9660 1400   fax +61 2 9660 7400
email info&#167;ish.com.au
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8