Re: [DNS] generic domain names

From: <David_Wise§fhp.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:08:14 +1000
I am not sure that there should be any restriction on the registration of generic domain names.

Those who have or had the foresight to register generic names should be entitled to that registration and if anyone else in the market believes they have a superior claim to that domain name then they are free to negotiate with the registrant to acquire it from the registrant.   The person who wants it just has to make a commercial decision of how much the generic domain name is worth to them and then make an offer.

The same principles apply with land (which is unique in the same that domain names are).  If you have the foresight to get in early and secure for yourself the retail space in a new commercial development that gets the most pedestrians walking past it,  then you should not be restricted from doing so just because your business acumen has deprived others of the ability to use that same retail space.   If anyone else wants it, they can offer to buy you out.

If you are in the furniture trade and you want to register furniture.com.au but you discover that someone else has already done so, then you are not seriously disadvantaged.   You can still register any number of similar alternatives like furniture.com.XX  (where XX represents the TLD from any country in the world), furniture.com, efurniture.com.au,  furnishings.com.au, [yourbusinessname].com.au,  furniturepoint.com.au,  furniturestore.com.au,  furnituresite.com.au, etc, etc

Also, it would be impossible to make special rules governing "generic" domain names because you cannot draw a line between what is generic and what is not.    Consider "www.news.com.au"  for example.

David Wise
Brisbane

Mark Davidson <davidson&#167;mmk.com.au> on 25/06/99 01:02:10 pm

Please respond to dns&#167;waia.asn.au