Re: [DNS] ENOUGH is ENOUGH (fwd)

From: Sandra Davey <sldavey§fl.asn.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:30:24 +1000
Dear Everyone on this list,

I have waited patiently nearly three years for the .org.au domain to be
sorted out.

As I have said a few times before on this and other lists, kre should be
congratulated for his commitment and service. But this debate is not about
Robert, it is about the future and ongoing management of .org.au, a a
fundamentally important Australian domain.

I am surprised and disappointed at the level of discussion here. In
addition to a debate that rarely rises above the rationality of 12 year
old's, there seems to be some indication that because non-profits are
not-for-profit, we shouldn't mind waiting around; that it's ok for a free
service like org.au to offer a second-rate service. I find this attitude
just astounding.

There is also the suggestion that if a non-profit can't get the right
domain, it should go after another one. What is the point of .org.au then,
when you have non-profits (like my organisation) with inappropriate
domains? I am not and never have been, an association. I am a non-profit
organisation. Is it not a contradiction that some non-profits are forced to
buy a .com.au domain? What about arguments of domain consistency I have
heard bandied around before?

I would be pleased to see such a hot-topic, sub-committee'd off to a
smaller, less argumentative list, who could then throw back to this list,
some reasonable suggestions.

Sandra Davey

Sandra Davey
Manager, Foundation Law                            Web: www.fl.asn.au
Law Foundation of NSW                            Email: sldavey&#167;fl.asn.au
GPO Box 4264                                        Ph: 61 2 9299 5621
Sydney  NSW  2001                                  Fax: 61 2 9262 1660