DNS: Terminology Clarification

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming§unety.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:24:06 -0500
Wow was I surprised...I am getting private mail
that illustrates a miscommunication based on
terminology. I hope the following helps clear things
up.

When I say TLD, I am referring to a Top Level Domain
in the global Internet Root Zone. I am NOT referring to
a second level name under .AU.

I now realize that people in Australia have apparently
been mislead into thinking that a name like COM.AU
is the TLD. This is not the case. In that case .COM. is
the second-level domain name.

In answer to people's questions about whether I think
names like IBM.AU and MICROSOFT.AU should be
allowed, I thought the answer was obvious but here it
is just in case...YES...

I would imagine that a large percentage of the .COM
owners would want a similar name under .AU. All you
have to do is replace .COM with .AU to get the name.
Names under COM.AU are not involved here. Those
are third-level names and companies have made it
clear they do not like those.

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation - http://www.unir.com - 0:196 .MALL
1998 - The Year of the C+&#167;