Re: DNS: whois servers and official domains

From: Jean-Christophe Praud <jc.praud§ludexpress.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:57:11 +0200
Jeff Williams wrote:

> Chris and all,
>
> Chris Chaundy wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Jeff Williams wrote:
> >
> > >   I suppose you are referring to me in this comment.  That is fine, but you are
> > > a bit off base with you comment, if I may say so.  First of all the
> > > InterNic's Whois facility does not just query the InterNics Database.  It also
> > > query's the 13 Legacy Root servers as well and any other Sub Domains that
> > > are known to those 13 Legacy Root servers.  That comprises about 98.5%
> > > of all the known DN's that are registered.  So I find your conclusion very
> > > misleading or you are misunderstood my previous posts on this subject.
> >
> > Can you provide an example of this?
>
>   Example of what EXACTLY?  Please be specific.

Well .fr isn't recognized, either...

[root&#167;yogsothoth /root]# whois ludexpress.fr
[rs.internic.net]
No match for "LUDEXPRESS.FR".

The InterNIC Registration Services database contains ONLY
non-military and non-US Government Domains and contacts.
Other associated whois servers:
   American Registry for Internet Numbers - whois.arin.net
   European IP Address Allocations        - whois.ripe.net
   Asia Pacific IP Address Allocations    - whois.apnic.net
   US Military                            - whois.nic.mil
   US Government                          - whois.nic.gov

to see it, we need :
whois ludexpress.fr&#167;whois.ripe.net
or
whois ludexpress.fr&#167;whois.nic.fr

It seems ccTLD info are added by ccTLD NICs whois servers.

But whois is not DNS...

--
Jean-Christophe PRAUD - LUDEXPRESS  http://www.ludexpress.com
http://www.nicwine.net     http://www.nic.wine     3:213 WINE