RE: DNS: AURSC - Announces Deployment of IPv8

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming§>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 07:06:13 -0500
On Saturday, June 20, 1998 3:04 AM, Rick Welykochy[SMTP:rick&#167;] wrote:
&#167;Allen Bolderoff wrote:
&#167;> This whole thing sound like a big wank. (sorry for the language) But anyway,
&#167;> after reading sooooo many of your posts (like 25% of my email comes through
&#167;> this list with you contributing 90% of the noise), it seems that all you are
&#167;> doing is talking loud and saying nothing.
&#167;I did read the IPv8 web pages a while back. Now I cannot find them.
&#167;I guess keeping the rest of us in the dark is the best idea ;)
&#167;IPv8 proposes to use some extension bits in the IP header
&#167;to extend IPv4 addressing so "the rest of the galaxy" can
&#167;use extended addressing. I wonder how many routers out
&#167;there recognise IPv8 (or even IPv6).

There are three aspects to C+&#167;-n-IPv8:

	1. The IPv8 Governance Plan
	2. The IPv8 Address Management Plan
	3. The IPv8 Protocol

The IPv8 Governance Plan is built around a "structured root".
The TOP 2,048 TLDs in use are "tracked", as in consumer reports.

The IPv8 Address Management Plan involves extended addressing.
Unlike IPv6 with 128 bit addresses, IPv8 uses 43 bit addresses plus
a 4 bit TOS field. These 47 bit addresses are compatible with IPv6
and also can fit inside an Ethernet MAC address field which is 48 bits.

The IPv8 Protocol is a simple modification to IPv4. When using the
global IPv4 transport network, a typical packet has a 20 byte IPv4
header and a 20 byte IPv8 header encapsulated behind it. Therefore,
your routers continue to work.

IPv8 differs from the traditional Internet philosophy in two key areas:

One, it is NOT and end-to-end approach. In other words, your PC is
not expected to change, instead a server/gatekeeper sits between
your PC and the IPv4 transport network. This is similar to the arrangement
one has when using WinGate <>. It is also
similar to the H.323 approach. See <>

Two, it is *platform-oriented* not *protocol-oriented*. The idea is to
use a small number of protocols at the base and then to use true
object-oriented technology for the platform built on that base. C+&#167;
is the programming language used on the platform. It was developed
at AT&T Bell Labs during the era when the C++ "virus" was being
hyped on the world. That was a painful era to work past. Thank god
that is behind us.

There is still a lot of work ahead...we will continue to make our way...
everyone is welcome to help...I hope that this has provided a few more

Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation -
1998 - The Year of the C+&#167;