Re: DNS: defining "official" domains

From: Chris Chaundy <chris§connect.com.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:03:12 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, David Keegel wrote:

> OzEmail is the (exclusive) seller of aust.com names.  My understanding
> is that they will not delegate a *.aust.com name unless you use OzEmail
> name servers, which I believe means that you must use OzEmail as your
> ISP.

Unless my understanding of the Internet is very screwed up (I don't think
so...), this wouldn't necessarily follow if they operate DNS hosting as a
discrete product (but I suspect they don't).

> I don't think OzEmail try to hide this at all, but unfortunately it
> seems rather difficult to get any hard information from their www site,
> I presume their business model requires talking to a sales person on
> the telephone to find out any real information.

Best for someone from Ozemail could comment here.

> In short, the point is that aust.com is not separated from other OzEmail
> business, and thus aust.com domains are apparently not portable, in
> contrast with aus.com, au.com, com.au, com, where they don't care who
> your nameservers are or who your ISP is.

A business decision that they may choose to make...
--
Chris Chaundy (Core Engineering Manager)

connect.com.au pty ltd, Level 9, 114 Albert Rd, Sth Melbourne, VIC 3205, Aust.
Internet: chris&#167;connect.com.au   Phone: +61 3 9251-3671   Fax: +61 3 9251-3666