Re: DNS: defining "official" domains

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:08:18 +1000
Does anyone on this thread doubt that both .com.au and .au.com names work?

Surely all this discussion about whois visability is a waste of time
giventhat we all know that they work - ie: can be seen by all Internet users.

The subject mentions "official". This is a political not a technical
question.

.com.au is "oficially recognised" if there is an "official" body,
recognised as such that in turn recognises .com.au as "official".

Rebert Elz is that body, or as close as we have. So in this instance,
.com.au's "official" status flows directly from Robert's assertion that
this is so.

In reality I view "official" status as coming from another source -
Australian domain owners. This is the constituency that lends real
credibility to .com.au.

If .au.com was 100 times the size of .com.au then the entire argument would
be on its head.

This is one industry in which at the end of the day, the people decide.

Let them do so.

Larry Bloch
Chief Executive Officer
NetRegistry Pty Limited
email:  larry&#167;netregistry.au.com
Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808

http://www.netregistry.au.com
Domain House, PO Box 2088, Sydney, NSW 1043