DNS: Australia's Registry Industry

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming§unety.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 23:38:34 -0500
Adam,

I have never had the pleasure of visiting Australia, but I
have the impression that it is similar to the United States,
especially in terms of advanced technology. When I used
to be at Bell Labs there was always a lot of UNIX interaction
with the folks from that region.

One of the things that I am curious about is your view, as
well as other people's view, of the Registry Industry in that
region. Every time that I ask people in the U.S. about it, they
tell me that Robert Elz and Geoff Huston are basically the
entire Internet industry down there. I find that hard to believe
because it is such a large region with so many talented people.
None the less, I will admit that Geoff Huston seems to get a lot
of press.[1]

Is this how you and others view it ?

Should we assume in the U.S. that Australia is still in the
early stages of Internet development, with only a couple of
people in control of the situation ? Should people hold off
spending more time on that market place ?

Are there lists or web sites that will provide a better picture
of the situation there ? I subscribed to this DNS list, but I have
not seen much discussion. Any help that you can provide in
this area would be appreciatted.

[1] http://www.isoc.org/members/vote/98election/98result.shtml