Re: [DNS] the road ahead

From: Mark Delany <markd§mira.net>
Date: Wed Jun 24 03:50:07 1998
[A quick delurk with an acknowledgement of DjK's hope for focus and
relevance noted]

> e) lack of privacy within the sld.
> 	the dns rules have a blatent disregard for client ownership
> 	and the privacy of customer information, this has to stop.
> 	the public whois db is a spamer delight.

In fact, the ability to provide completely bogus information to the
Internic has hampered many an effort by anti-spammers to track down the
owner of a domain. I agree that the ability to trawl the database by
spammers is a problem that needs to be addressed, but I don't see that
hiding it behind privacy provisions is the best answer.

By way of analogy the ASC makes similar information available to the
public for company names as do other corporate registries around the
planet.

Regards.