[DNS] governance principles for .AU and the 2LD

From: George Michaelson <ggm§dstc.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:26:36 +1000 (EST)
here's my take.

	1) public interest principles predominate
	2) documented policy: catch-up time for existing domains
	3) principle of least suprise in changes
	4) whats the hurry to make new domains? this is NOT a rush job
	5) consultative yes. elected? not neccessarily.
	6) stakeholders is a hard one. see 1)

2LD
	we don't need more. we need sanity about what we have. if we do
	need more, we need time to decide how, and why

	separation of powers vital. authority and operation can vest in
	different places.

	FCFS issues?

other interesting points

	backfill with the minimum legislative power required.
	indemnity for 'best effort' procedures
	respect other jurisdiction in naming rights

	good to align with other ISO code practices, and the non-ISO top level
	but not 100%: depends on circumstances.

	fund from revenues of commercial domains. has to be financially
	viable, should NOT be a revenue raiser, or a for-profit activity
	at the immediate .AU or 2LD level.

-George