RE: DNS: silence is golden

From: Simon Hackett <simon§internode.com.au>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 20:14:30 +0900
At 23:42 24/05/98 -0500, Jim Fleming wrote:
>"But governments will have their work cut out for them,
>trying to control the Net when there are people like Jun Murai
>around. After all, the technology is on their side. As John Gilmore
>says, "The Net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it."

Jim,

John Gilmore's (justly famous) quote predates the modern onset of spam.

The net interprets spam as disgusting crud and does everything possible to
get rid of it.

Ultimately, in a sense, you're right - and that's why I've put in a kill
filters for my own inward email  - the ultimate (and only) necessary censor
for what YOU read is YOU. I have no problem with that notion, but I also
have no problem with the notion of restricted-membership mailing lists,
since anyone who dislikes one can simply start another one if they believe
they need to - using the very freedom that you allude to.

Simon
---
Simon Hackett, Technical Director, Internode Systems Pty Ltd
31 York St [PO Box 284, Rundle Mall], Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: simon&#167;internode.com.au  Web: http://www.on.net
Phone: +61-8-8223-2999          Fax: +61-8-8223-1777