Re: DNS: Answer to Vic Cinc's burning question

From: Antony Barry <tony§tony-barry.emu.id.au>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 00:00:03 +1000
At 8:58 PM 1998/05/14, Adam Todd wrote:
>>You might also be able to become
>>a (co)registrar for a *.id.au domain (see www.id.au for background),
>>but I can't give you any concrete suggestions on how to go about that
>>at the minute.
>
>I wouldn't waste my time. It's more a hackers and aliases domain, not
>truely seriously used and would be called into question under
>Telecommuncaitions Act in the possible long term.  For now, no one cares.
>Until an "untraceable" crime is committed.

Hang on there a bit. I think the internet is about people and communication
between them. In the long term domains like *.id.au are going to be more
significant that the fol de rol that happens in the commercial spaces which
after all is just a subset of the total society.

Also while my Librarian collegues might think of me as a "hacker" many of
you will know that my skills are rudimentary at best. I have set up
Tony-Barry.emu.id.au  partly for my own education but more as a
demonstration that simple, easy to use public domain and shareware
software, can let anybody have a full network presence down a phone line.
Its a Mac ;^)

As for "untraceable" I would have though the IP number pins hosts down far
more that whatever name the DNS maps to it.

Gee and to think that I kept off this list until now because I thought it
would be boring!

Tony