Re: DNS: ADNA's mandate for pr.au?

From: Deus Ex Machina <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 20:29:09 +1000 (EST)
>_From: mark.hughes&#167;anz.ccamatil.com
>

> For example, many large companies, such as my own, have many
> many trademarks.  Ross Wilson tells me there are about 200,000
> trademarks on the Australian database.  Well, if you register
> all those in .com.au, then potentially 200,000 Australian
> businesses will not be able to register their business name
> in .com.au even if that is their preference.  The actual number
> would of course be less because the owners of the 200,000
> trademarks would be catered for, plus the fact that
> some trademarks might not have a business or commercial
> entity using that name.  Hey, lets say only 100,000
> Australian businesses are denied their first choice
> of internet domain name because a few thousand multi-national
> companies have registered 50 trademarks each.

well I can tell you a phenomal number of business are denied the
names they want in the first place because of restrictive dns policies.
this of course generally gets swept under the carpet as colateral
damage of restrictive polices.

one of the issue I have noticed that is raised over and over and not
touched on is the limited access the public have to adna, adter all
they are the ones using the dns. adna board meetings should be open to
the public.

Vic