Re: DNS: Re:ADNA and Monday's NOIE forum

From: Chris Chaundy <chris§connect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:30:59 +1000
At 20:11 1/4/98, Peter Gerrand wrote:

>(5) ever since MM told the ADNA Board in August 1997 that he would not
>allow the SLD he personally administers, asn.au, to come under ADNA's
>proposals for introduction of competition in commercial domains, Melbourne
>IT has been the only DNA within .au to collaborate in ADNA's open process
                 ^^^^
>for the introduction of greater competition in the .au DNS. This includes
>competition within com.au (and all other commercial SLDs within .au) as
>well as creation of additional SLDs to meet reasonable end-user needs.

I don't believe this is strictly correct.

>I have also said several times at ADNA meetings, and at pre-ADNA DNS
>forums, that Melbourne IT will co-operate in the introduction of
>competition within com.au provided that it is not disadvantaged by
>inequitable treatment - ie competition in com.au must happen at the same
>time as competition is introduced in all the commercial SLDs in .au, and
                                      ^^^
>Melbourne IT must have the same rights as other registrars to support
>multiple SLDs.

What other domains are you referring to here?  I believe Hugh Irvine has
indicated that net.au will be happy to participate once there is some
general agreement over ADNA's policies.  Are there any other commercial
SLDs in .au?

>Finally, I also would welcome NOIE acting as a facilitator to bring the
>currently alienated parties into the self-regulatory DNS process, whether
>that is via ADNA or a new body more acceptable to all Australian
>stake-holders in the Internet; such a body is needed to act as the
>industry-created and government regulator-recognised Manager of Internet
>Naming and Addressing in this country.

Hold on - where did the addressing bit come from?  You are leaping way out
of bounds here Peter...

--
Chris Chaundy (Core Engineering Manager)

connect.com.au pty ltd, Level 9, 114 Albert Rd, Sth Melbourne, VIC 3205, Aust.
Internet: chris&#167;connect.com.au   Phone: +61 3 9251-3671   Fax: +61 3 9251-3666