Re: DNS: Most ADNA Members hold interests in Profit Based Companies.

From: Stephen Baxter <steve§senet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 1998 17:08:36 +1030 (CST)
Please answer the question :

Who would you have on the board of ADNA ?
Please supply names - if you can't please do not reply.

If you can answer this with names please do otherwise I will take that as
you having no answers.

---------------
No need to read further
---------------

>  This is a fairly LONG POST.  I tried to cut as much as possible, but some
>  context needs to remain.  HOpefully STephen Baxter and other ADNA members
>  will be able to disect - carefully to retain context - this post, remove
>  some of the replication and perhaps even break it into three or four
>  specific threads. Sorry for typos and Spelling errors, I still don't have a
>  spell checker for Eudora :)
>

>  >>  Can you tell me honestly you can perform in a capacity with only the
>  >>  interests of things outside of your commercial enterprise?
>  >
>  >Yes.
>  >
>  >I joined the process because I thought (and still think) it was broken.
>
>  If called upon, does this mean you will resign from all
>  Director/Shareholder positions of those COmmercial organisation to sit on
>  the ADNA board for a period of time?
>
>  >>  If so, I'd truely like to see you sign an agreement as such and submit it
>  >>  to ADNA stating that your commercial enterprise(s) will not undertake any
>  >>  interest in the process unless you personally resign from the ADNA board.
>  >
>  >So my company cannot register domain names any longer !
>  >Yah sure - I will sign that .... not.
>
>  I think that answers the above question also.  So your saying that your
>  position on ADNA is to fix something, that you claim is broken, so your
>  company can profit from the results?
>
>  >>  It's too much a conflict of interest and 90% of the time people are on
>  such
>  >>  organisations to serve their interests and not those of the community.
>  >
>  >How and when ?
>
>  My paragrph above answers that.
>
>  >One example - Peter Gerrand has what alot of people call a monopoly on
>  >behalf of his company, yet he is being apart of process to remove that
>  >monopoly. Now does that sound self serving ?
>
>  It puts MIT in a position way in advance of any action to be able to take
>  necessary action to retain the highest possible status they can afford.
>
>  Just like Optus being introduced to Australia.  It made a big dent in the
>  Telstra/Telecom budgets of the 90's.  Staff became friendly and you always
>  had someone peronable on the phone willing to help and find a soltution.
>  Then around 1995 the apathy and lazyness crept back in to where it is
>  today.  Hard to get an answer on anything.  There are still some good
>  peopel in there, but they are the ones that admit they bach their heads far
>  too often.
>
>  >>  No, that's not what I said at all.  Stephen, you've been making personal
>  >>  attacks at me for over a year now, it woudl be nice if we could
>  concentrate
>  >>  on issues, rather than personal attacks.  I's so unprofessional.
>  >
>  >Adam, what you are saying is that people involved in the DNS/Internet
> [...]

Stephen Baxter                            SE Network Access
SE Network Access                         http://www.senet.com.au
Direct Internet Access                    222 Grote Street
phone : +61 8 8221 5221                   Adelaide 5000
fax   : +61 8 8221 5220

(Support Ausbone - do not go quietly into the night !)
                http://www.ausbone.net

<http://www.senet.com.au/~steve/pgp.html for Public Key>