Re: DNS: Domain Registration in Australia

From: Rick Welykochy <rick§dot.net.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:50:21 +1100
Okay, now I'll add a twist (without the lemon). Since I have not seen
any
further response from Mel. I.T. on this subject, I feel compelled to
quote
from a reply they gave me on this matter. My apologies in advance to
Mel.I.T. staff for quoting private email ... but as you will see below
the
quote refers to policy made by K.R.Elz, the original .COM.AU
administrator.
Any such policy must be made public in all fairness to those applying
for
.COM.AU domain names ...

on 20/01/1998, Rick Welykochy inquired:

> >1. What commercial entity is "xxxxxxx"  (individual's name withheld)
> >   Why no ACN or BRN? Isn't this application in clear violation
> >   of several of your policy statements available on your
> >   Web site?

DNA Policy at Melbourne I.T. replied:

> A person is a legal entity and a commercial one if trading as themselves.
> In exceptional circumstances and were a person provides evidence that they
> have been and are trading as themselves, we are able to allocate them a
> domain name. This was checked with the previous com.au administrator and
> .au administrator, Robert Elz, before its implementation.

Given the above response, one would assume that the spirit or intent of
the
restrictive Mel.I.T. conditions for domain applications are based in the
premise that an entity applying for a domain within .COM.AU should
demonstrate
that they are TRADING under the business name (or personal name in the
above
case). And given that, a BRN or ACN should not be necessary.

Confused? I'll respond off list to anyone with further inquiries.

-rick welykochy