Re: DNS: Domain Registration in Australia

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:08:05 +1100
>> I agree with your comments above Ramin, it's not a "loophole" at all.  And
>> any ISP who advises their clients to get a business name purley to register
>> a Domain name is ingorant of the law and what a Business Name is about.
>
>ISP have *no* choice but advise their clients to get a business name to
>get the required domain.

I have to admit I don't see many COM.AU regsitratiosn past my registry -
probably because we charge WAY too much for them :)

>This unhealthy situation has arisen due to historical reasons and
>its about time it was redressed.

I have to admit the policy for COM.AU which is more or less the same as
it's been for over 5 odd years, does have advantages, but on the same token
the issue you raise is very valid.

>I was told there is a timetable to introduce competition
>into .com.au where is it?

Don't belive it.  I know things that are going on that even those who think
they are creating the time table don't know.

I've asked several times and been told I can't be a part of the COM.AU
registry process because I'm an ISP.  Funny I don't have any ISP servers
from my last recollection.  I was later told it coudln't be done because of
the software issue.

I made an offer:

I'll be a Registry and offer competition to Melbourne IT and give MIT FREE
access - at MY expense to the Database and Services.  Only THEY will be
able to modify or change their records and the server will automagically
generate the Zone Table and WHOIS data each day.  I'll even pay for the
Frame or DDS connection to Melbourne.

OR

I'll offer the database on a per transaction basis to other Registries and
I won't sell Domain Names in the COM.AU name space.

I can solve the problem either way.  Problem is - this isn't the problem.

I don't drink the right brand of beer.

Actually - I don't drink beer, so I have no hope.

I'd be keen to discuss this further with ISP's who would like to become
Registries for the COM.AU name space in competition with MIT, it woudl be
very worthwhile.

Incidently I guess if the rule is you can't be an ISP, then ISP's won't be
much use.

Does running a Web Server count as being an ISP?

In which case, MIT run a web server - and provide INTERNET SERVICES.
Perhaps they shodun't be permitted to be a registry for COM.AU either?

One rule for the Goose and one for the Gander I'm afraid.

And of course, there is the alternative.  Henry Ford knows all about
Competition with GM introduced their first car.

I guess if ISP's are serious they will do what US ISP's are doing and point
to alternate Root Server and use them.  If you want to resell INOZ.COM (bah
it's a 2LD under com) or even .AUS drop me a line.  It's a statement MIT
and the powers that be just can't refute and it's only going to happen if
*YOU* decide to FORCE competition.

Here try this.

Back up your current ROOT.CACHE file and put this in it's place:

.                       518400  IN      NS      rs1.aursc.ah.net.
rs1.aursc.ah.net.       518400  IN      A       203.21.205.2
.                       518400  IN      NS      rs2.aursc.ah.net.
rs2.aursc.ah.net.       518400  IN      A       203.21.205.3
.                       518400  IN      NS      rs3.aursc.ah.net.
rs3.aursc.ah.net.       518400  IN      A       203.29.72.14

Now restart your DNS server and try:

dig . NS

You should get a list of the above servers.

Then try dig AUS NS

You should bet ns2.ah.net and ns4.ah.net

Your away now.  Let me know your doing this so I can tell the people who
want t purchase Domain Names, that you are the best ISP to use for both
Dialup and Hosting.  I need more ISP's of decent quality to provide
referals too.  I've got over 10,000 users waiting access all over the place
and just not enough ISP's in Australia.

Over 1000 ISP's support this now in the USA.  <sigh>

It's your Statement.  I gather Vic, you dont drive a Ford?

      The world operates 24 hours a day ... so do the servers.
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convery Member
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
						   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net
AU Root Server Confederation              http://aursc.ah.net
AU Internet News  mailto:internet-request&#167;ah.net  with "subscribe"