Re: DNS: Problems with .com.au, .net.au .org.au approvals

From: Paul Foxworthy <paul§cohsoft.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 16:21:27 +1100
At 11:51 29/01/1998 +1100, Larry Bloch wrote:

>I should also mention that I have a vested interest in this issue, as
>NetRegistry is soon launching a National Domain Registry under .au.com with
>none of the restrictions MelbourneIT impose (apart from FCFS :-).

To compete with .aust.com, .aus.net and the other privately-owned names.
These two have been going for over a year. Yawn.

I assume you just happen to be offering hosting of these names as well. If
so, and a customer ever moves elsewhere, will you delegate names within
au.com to the  new host (which may well be one of your competitors), and
how much would you charge for delegation alone?

What arrangements have you made to ensure the names will continue if your
company should ever go out of business?

These are the key reasons why I always advise my clients to get an
"official" name, usually within .com.au or .com. Less important ones are
that your name is less memorable and that your name gives away your ISP to
anyone in the know.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

---- Coherent Software ------------- http://www.cohsoft.com.au/ ----
For interactive Web sites, catalogues, shopping carts, etc.
Member Aust. Web Publishers' Assoc.     http://www.awpa.asn.au/
Ask about our book "Genealogy on the Internet" - 3rd ed. out now!
Aust. Family History Compendium at http://www.cohsoft.com.au/afhc/
PGP Key: ftp://ftp.cohsoft.com.au/pub/pgpkeys/coherent.asc