Re: DNS: tm.au and pr.au seminars today & tomorrow

From: Leni Mayo <leni§toplevel.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:39:00 +1100
David Keegel wrote:

> The minutes of the 5 Nov 1997 ADNA Board meeting said:
>
> ] It was noted that ADNA will co-host with the Trademark Commissioner
> ] half-day public seminar on Domain Names and Trademarks from 9 am to
> ] 12.30 pm in Melbourne on 27 November (in Theatre 1, Basement 1, 207
> ] Bouverie St Carlton), and in Sydney on 28 November (at the offices
> of
> ] Phillips Fox, 255 Elizabeth St). It is planned that the draft policy
>
> ] documents on tm.au and pr.au produced at ADNAs 18 November
> Commercial
> ] Sector Panel meeting. Will be input for discussion at the 27&28
> ] November seminars, which will be attended by interested Patent
> ] Attorneys and lawyers, as well as holders and prospective holders of
>
> ] Australian trademarks.
>
> ]   27 & 28 November 1997  Trademark Commissioner & ADNAs half-day
> ]   seminars in Melbourne and Sydney respectively (9 am)  used to get
> ]   public response to tm.au and pr.au proposals.
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the Melbourne seminar today due
> to work emergencies.  Would anyone else who was there like to comment
> on any highlights of the discussion about creating pr.au and tm.au?

Attendance was roughly 80 or so folks, mostly IP legal professionals
from the informal conversations in the foyer.  Speakers/Panel members
were:Ross Wilson, Commissioner of Trademarks,
Peter Gerrand, CEO of Melbourne IT
Janice Luck, a well-respected IP lawyer
Jane Perrier, IP lawyer from Telstra.

The question posed by the audience was: "where does one go within the
.au space to get a domain name corresponding to a trademark?"

At the end of the session, Ross Wilson called for a show of hands on the
three whiteboard options:
1.  .nn.tm.au or .tm.au
2.  .pr.au
3.  .com.au rules broadened to include trademark holders.

On 1, no-one (that I saw) raised their hand.
On 2, a few people raised their hand.
On 3, the vast majority of the audience raised their hand.

It'd be interesting to compare notes with someone that attended the
Sydney session.

Leni.